Urinary Tract Infection Community
What Is A Urinary Tract Infection?

A urinary tract infection (UTI) is a bacterial infection that occurs when bacteria get into the bladder or kidney and multiply in the urine and can affects any part of the urinary tract. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments such as when you may need to get antibiotics.

What Is A Urinary Tract Infection?

Hello everyone! I'd like to take this time to introduce myself as your new Community Leader. I thought that it might be helpful if I posted some of the symptoms and causes of a UTI. I had quite a few while I was pregnant, and I never experienced any symptoms!

Symptoms of a UTI:

A strong and persistant urge to urinate
Burning sensation while urinating
Passing small, frequent amounts of urine
Cloudy urine
Urine that appears pink or dark like a soda-it means blood is present
Strong smelling urine
Pelvic pain in women
Rectal pain in men

When Kidney's are affected:

You may feel pain in your upper back and side
Have a high fever
Experience shaking and chills
Have nausea and/or vomiting

When the bladder is affected:

You may experience pelvic pressure
Lower abdominal pain
Experience frequent, painful urination
Have blood in the urine

When It is Urethritis:

It may burn while urinating.

When you experience any of the above symptoms, and expect that you may have a UTI it is important to seek medical care to have it treated. A UTI occurs when bacteria travels up the urethra and into the bladder where it begins to multiply. Bladder infections, or cystitis, is usually caused by E. Coli. Urethritis can be caused when fecal matter, or other bacteria, is spread from the anus to the urethra. Also, it can be caused by STD's such as gonorrhea, chlamydia, and herpes due to the closeness of the vagina to the urethra.

Untreated Urinary Tract Infections can lead to chronic kidney infections, and has the potential to do permanent damage to the kidneys.
Tags: uti
Wow - this is a comprehensive list.  I also would like to share the MedHelp link about UTI's with everyone, too:  http://www.medhelp.org/medical-information/show/683/Urinary-tract-infection-
Thank you Jibs1, for posting the medhelp link. I didn't even think to post it! It also has some very good information!