Urinary Tract Infection Community
uti's

A urinary tract infection (UTI) is a bacterial infection that occurs when bacteria get into the bladder or kidney and multiply in the urine and can affects any part of the urinary tract. Discuss topics including prevention, causes, symptoms and treatments such as when you may need to get antibiotics.

uti's

My daughter is prone to uti's since she was a year old. She is now 5 1/2 and she has beeb for ultrasounds and dmsa scans. The only thing they can find wrong is that she doesnt empty her bladder completely. She doesnt drink soda she doesnt drink blackcurrant she gets showers she wipes her bottom front to back she has so many things bt nothing seems to be working. Can anyone help me please
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
The most important and common risk factor for UTIs in girls is antibiotic therapy, which may disrupt the normal periurethral flora and fosters the growth of uropathogenic bacteria. Voiding dysfunction is another possible cause. It is important to identify and treat the voiding dysfunction. Imaging evaluation of the urinary tract following a UTI may be needed based on the child's clinical presentation and on clinical judgment. In young girls, recurrent urinary tract infections can be an indication of a urinary tract abnormality, such as vesicoureteral reflux. It is best to get her investigated and rule out the possible causes. Keep me posted.
Best wishes and regards!