Urogynecology Archive Expert Forum
Cystocele and Rectocele
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by medical professionals . Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Cystocele and Rectocele

First, why is my cystocele worse when my bladder is empty?  One would think the opposite would be true.

Next, my gyno-urologist says I have both cystocele and rectocele but they are not that bad.  She said she was not sure that surgery would help.  However, I cannot completely empty my colon and often have to push on my vagina for a bowel movement even though they are not hard, have continuous bladder infections (asymptomatic), and I can feel a slightly larger than a walnut bulge that is protruding from the vagina.  She sent me to my gyn, who feels I should have surgery, because right now I am in excellent shape (68, 5 ft. 4, 133 lbs.), and it will only get worse.  Went back to gyno-urologist and she says yes, I will need surgery but we can put it off probably until next year.  Tried me on Detrol, which did not help and said I really should see my gastro person.  He is now going to do a colonoscopy and after that wants me to see a colon and rectal surgeon for an evaluation.  I feel like a ping pong ball.

What can the gastro doctor see with a colonoscopy?  Why am I getting conflicting opinions?  I should add that I had a hysterectomy 30 years ago.
Tags: rectocele