Urogynecology Archive Expert Forum
Extreme Pain with PAP Smears or Pelvic Tests

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by medical professionals . Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

I simply cannot handle pelvic exams. When the speculum is inserted and used on my cervix(?), I experience such pain that I begin to sob and hyperventilate (and during a recent endometrial biopsy I was practically screaming). I also recently had an ultrasound that included the use of a camera that needed to be slid into my cervix -- that was painful as well (mainly during insertion and withdrawal).  I also even have problems when a doctor uses his/her fingers to palpate inside the pelvic area. I was told I have a "high cervix." I am a virgin. Is there a definate diagnosis for this problem so I can let my doctors know and try to avoid future torture?

CJ
I just had my first pap smear yesterday and it was a very bad experience. The obgyn used a child's speculum on me, which allowed for pain free (though uncomfortable) insertion. Once she opened up the speculum to prepare the actual pap smear I began to feel a ripping pain. Once the q-tip was inserted and collecting samples I started sweating, crying and screaming. The obgyn then called a nurse in and had her hold me down. After a few minutes of crying and disbelief she proceeded with the pelvic exam by sticking her finger inside of my vagina and pushing down my pelvis. The discomfort, pain, tears and screams continued until she was done. She then questioned if I had been a victim of sexually abuse, which I have no memory of and said it was abnormal and unusual to experience that level of pain without a mental element. She insisted that physically there is no pain even with the presence of an infection and that may experience came purely from a mental factor. She then recommended me to a therapist and said I had a lot to work out and it was HORRIBLE. I tried to explain that I really, honestly felt an unbearable amount of deep pain, but she did not seem to believe I was not a sexual abuse survivor who had purhaps blocked this memory. Anyway, it was a terribly tramatic experience and I feel very emotionally distraught. I know what I experienced was pure physical pain, but I feel very strange by the outcome. For additional information I am 23 years old and a virgin, but I am able to use tampons...not always sucessfully, but nonetheless mechanically. What do you and others make of this?