Urogynecology Expert Forum
AM I OK?

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

AM I OK?

HI,
I have a problem. I have just given birth to a little girl 6 months ago and moved from Pakistan. I started a feeling freequent urges to go as soon as I came here. plus I started to feel that my underpants remained wet most of the time. I told my Gynacologist the problems and he did an exam and some swab tests and I was treated for a bacteria in my vaginal area.
I still keep a pad in my underpants which mostly is dry but when I take a bath I some time fear that I may urinate untill I get my underpants on. Do i have a problem or Its only my imagination playing tricks on me? Please advise as this is taking control of my life as I am afraid to go even.
Thanx  
Many women, up to 60% in some studies, can have urinary incontinence in pregnancy. A subgroup of these women can have the problem persist for up to 6 months after delivery. For most of them it goes away, but for some is does not go away. The problem is real, not in your head. The leakage problem is curable, and you do not have to live with it.

If your problem persists longer than 6 months after delivery, you should get seen by a urogynecologist in your area. They will perform a bladder test to determine the cause of the leakage, and then they can offer you appropriate treatment. The two main types of incontinence include loss of urine associated with a strong urge to void (urge incontinence), and loss of urine assiciated with coughing, laughing, sneezing, lifting (Stress incontinence). Urge incontinence can often be cured with medication (e.g., detrol) . The ways to cure stress urinary incontinence include pelvic floor exercises, incontinence prssaries, and same day outpatient surgeries.  For more information, go to:

http://www.augs.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=205

and look under information for women.