Urogynecology Community
Anyone else experience this? HELP!

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

Anyone else experience this? HELP!

Hi everybody,
I'm new to the forum, but I've been reading and hoping the supportive women here could help me out with something.
I had a laparoscopy to remove a dermoid cyst on my left ovary and a golf-ball-sized cyst from my right fallopian tube. My doctor used the normal three-prong approach, going in through my belly button and a small incision on either side above where my panty line rests. I recuperated at home and was up and walking normally without pain after about 2 weeks. The recovery time varies by person to person - in my case it was definitely not a 3-4 day recovery. Anyway, I was in such pain and discomfort while I was healing that nothing else mattered to me. I was up and about and didn't really notice anything different other than the pain and knew that was going to go away eventually. I'm 24 years old and so this next bit really worries me.
I just got my period and while on it, I couldn't use tampons. I accidentally tried one the other day and I was shocked.
Things just don't feel as tight down there... I know this sounds vain of me but really, it feels like I've given birth or just been stretched out A LOT.
I took a mirror to check it out, just to make sure I wasn't going crazy. To my surprise, things didn't LOOK the same either.
I've always had a very narrow vaginal canal, my fiance loves it and I do too because it feels great when we share intimate moments and I'm young. I don't want to be loose and mushy at 24 when I haven't even had that much sex or used dildos or other large intravaginal things.
Anyway, my doctor said she inserted a speculum to be able to move my uterus around during surgery and reassured me she didn't have me "spread wide open" or anything. But still I'm concerned. It DOES NOT feel the same down there at all and I'm so upset about it.
When I can have sex again in a couple of days I'm going to really test this out and see what sex feels like, especially with my fiance being well-endowed.
Also, has this happened to anyone else and did things get more toned down there after more walking and maybe working out? It just feels like the opening to my vagina and the inner canal have been spread apart, leaving me with a gaping, loose vagina. I'm super upset and just need some advice or support. Kind of embarrassed to even ask this but I couldn't really get a lot of support from my doc.

Thank you so much for any help
Tags: surgery, laparoscopy, Vagina, loose, speculum, cystectomy, ovarian cyst, anyone, experience, worry, help
Hi, please don't ever feel embarrassed to ask a question.  We hope to help you and at least steer you in the right direction for answers to your medical questions.  I believe you know your own body better than anyone else so if you believe things are different you deserve to know why.  How far ago was your surgery?  I am interested that you cannot keep a tampon in. Have you ever heard of pelvic organ prolapse(POP) ?  Simply put, it is when your internal pelvic organs drop( due to numerous reasons).  You can have one prolapse such as the bladder or numerous prolapses all at different degrees of descent.  It is simple to just ask your doctor to examine you for prolapse, which can happen at any age.  Another idea would be to get a referral maybe from your doctor to see a pelvic physical therapist.  A good one can help with many pelvic problems and can assess your stretched, gaping vagina and give you guidance on how to proceed.  I hope you get the answers you need for your problem.  By reaching out as you did your on the right track.  Good luck and keep us posted.
Hi, I tried a tampon for the first time since surgery today. My surgery was just three weeks ago. The tampon went in super easily, which was never the case before. I used to have a tough time getting a slim/lite tampon in, and a regular size tampon slid right in and I couldn't feel it inside me, when before I could tell I had any size tampon up there. So, I'm not sure what to do at this point. I mean, the skin that covers the opening to my vagina seems to have been torn or at least cut somehow when I was in surgery. Even though there were no stitches or glue or even pain when I got home from the hospital, it seems like this area was stretched too far and ultimately is now looser and just not feeling right. I'm concerned that once you're stretched out, there's no going back to how it once was. I'm so self conscious now that I just want my period to be over so I can experiment with intercourse, my vibrator or just something I'm used to using like a tampon to tell if this really is like it used to be or not. I'm looking for any type of answer I can find. My doctor tried to reassure me but I'm skeptical because what is considered "normal" nowadays doesn't always work for every woman. I'm kind of mad, too, that they would go in and just spread me open without thinking that if I have a nice, taut area down there, I may not want it ruined at 24 years old.
Ugh.
Thanks for the reply, and hopefully I can talk to my gyno again soon if the problem doesn't get better...just hoping for an answer somewhere. Can't really find anything online as far as this goes. But I will check out the prolapse condition you mentioned. That might lead somewhere...
Hi, I misunderstood you. I thought that you had a hard time inserting a tampon after surgery,  that is why I mentioned pelvic organ prolapse.  I would pursue finding a therapist that specializes in the pelvic area.  You can get some educated answers about your stretched vagina and therapy for strengthening those muscles if that's would help your situation.  There is a lot of help you can get from an experienced pelvic therapist with your situation.  Good luck to you and keep us posted
So, we tried sex last night and the problem isn't my vaginal canal. That still works fine and feels the same (thank GOD). It seems as though the problem is the opening to my vagina that was stretched and maybe even torn by the speculum during my surgery. It's basically a larger opening now than it was, and it's bothersome when I sit, walk and so on because it isn't as closed and taut as it used to be.

I'm still concerned because it's a strange feeling and I don't want it to be like this. I wish someone else could relate to me somehow or has had a similar experience because I want to know what to do.

I looked up the different types of pelvic prolapse and that doesn't seem to be the issue. The issue is that the area where my hymen tissue or basic posterior fourchet (as it's called in medical jargon) is now a lot more open than it used to be and the skin there is loose and mushy to the touch, which I notice especially when I'm wiping with toilet paper or washing down there. Is there any hope that this area will eventually tighten back up or is this a lost cause that I will have to deal with from now on? Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Glad sex was normal and you don't think you have prolapse issues.  I know that you have told your surgeon about your concerns.  Is there anyway you can get a second opinion from another doctor?  Maybe there is still swelling or a  tear from the speculum.  Perhaps another doctor could tell you whether there has been damage by the speculum as you think there might be.  Try posting your question in the ask doctor section and even try the women's health section.  I wish I could give you the answer your seeking. Keep trying and see if you can get another doctors opinion.  Best of luck to you.