Urogynecology Expert Forum
Birth control and period after prolapse surgery
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Birth control and period after prolapse surgery

I am going to have surgery in a couple months for prolapsed uterus and bladder.  With this, my surgeon will need to remove the top of my uterus.  I will still keep my ovaries and I believe I will still have my cervix.  My questions are, with part of my uterus being removed but my ovaries/tubes intact, will I still get a period?  Also will I still need to be on BC pills to prevent pregnancy?  I know I can't carry a baby with half a uterus but what about ectopic?  I am done having children and when I asked the doctor about doing a tubal at the same as my surgery, he said I can't get pregnant without my whole uterus.  

I really appreciate your time.
1344197_tn?1392822771
You should not get your period and will not need birth control pills providing the opening in the cervix is close at the time of surgery.  Usually when a supracervical hysterectomy is done, the cervical opening can be closed if you are still of reproductive age.  J. Kyle Mathews, MD
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
1344197_tn?1392822771
J. Kyle Mathews, MD, DVMBlank
Plano Urogynecology Associates
Plano, TX
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now