Urogynecology Expert Forum
Bladder & Kidney Pain

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Bladder & Kidney Pain

03/29 I had a full abd hysterectomy. Immediately had pelvic pain, swelling, retention, frequency (30-40 voids per 24hrs) My Gyn did not send me to a UroGyn until June

I have questions about communicating with my doctor.
I am going back to the originally referred UroGyn that I should not have left in the first place, but did because I had been without sleep and in pain for so long that I was really emotional and irrational. I dont know that I communicated well at all and relied too much on my spouse to be my advocate when he was not really prepared to be. I was prescribed no medication at all and I left the office crying (so embarrassing) because I was given a pelvic floor therapy schedule, and instruction on bladder training. I didnt understand that medication was not going to solve my problems. Also that he would re-eval after week 3.
I found out through my experience with a gen urologist that it did the opposite. I was retaining & didnt tollerate the meds,. Except for the Baclofen, which means I can sleep 5 hrs a night. I  have a great PT. Also a Pn Mgt Dr that is doing sympathetic blocks & no pills ;)  
I need to go back to the orig UroGyn, because I think he can help me manage this issue now that I am not the complete mess I was, though still not myself.
Questions*
1.Tubular ectasia is indicated in my IVP in a kidney I have had stones from 2+ times a year, is that something he would handle?
2. I need to be able to speak to him about some of my history that may be a partial cause of my pelvic pain. I dont want to talk to him as you would a psychologist (I have that covered) but rather the actual physical ramifications of my previous experiences. How is it best to approach that subject without consuming an inordinate amount of time?

I had no Idea the, but looking back I know that lack of sleep and chronic pain together are truly devastating to you and your family. I am doing my best to manage.

Generally any advise you can give would be appreciated
A urologist will most likely manage your kidney issues.  Regarding your history, I would suggest you speak with him or his nurse about these issues.  Pelvic pain is a common complaint and I would expect him to be well versed in this issue.