Urogynecology Community
Bladder Prolapse (cystocele)

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

Bladder Prolapse (cystocele)

I am a 54 year old female and have been diagnosed with bladder prolaspe,(cystocele). I am experiencing some pressure and some pain.. I had a complete hysterectomy in my early thirties. I believe that I brought on this condition by jumping on my trampoline (rebounder) even though I wasn't on it for more than 5 minutes at a time over a period a few weeks off and on.. It was during my jumping on my trampoline that I felt pressure and pain so I made an apt. with my family Dr.who said I have a cystocele. I am being referred to  o an urologist and that apt. isn't until 3 weeks.  I am quite concerned after trying to research on line.  I have discovered that there is a Dr. who specializes in this area called an urogynecologist I live in North Bay Ontario, and would like to know what cities have this particular Dr. and if this would be more beneficial than an urologist?  How do I go about getting an apt. with a Dr. who specializes in this area?Also what can I do in the meantime to alleviate pressure and pain.  I have put my trampoline  away.
Hi Jacquie, I am glad you are questioning which physician you should see. I always recommend women see a urogynecologist, they are the specialist for POP and are well versed in treatment/surgery for all 5 types. You may have a cystocele only but there is a possibility you have other POP issues as well and a urogynecologist will be able to clarify that for you as well as what grade of severity. I'll send you a PM with what I can find for urogyn in your area, I have a source I can look at but we typically don't give out physician info on the forum.

It is very likely that the trampoline either created POP issues or made some that were already there get worse so that you noticed them. Read the 2nd post on the forum (Taking Pelvic Organ Prolapse out of the Closet), it can clarify a few of the basics on POP. Vaginal childbirth is the leading cause, menopause is # 2, jogging, marathon running is another cause;  the downward jerking to internal organs that trampoline jumping creates would fall into that path. Every risk factor increases the chances of  POP occurring.

Creating pelvic support may help with pain and pressure while you wait to see a physician, there are support garments available in almost any undies department; they are much more user friendly than the old school girdles were. Once you have a specific diagnosis, your physician will offer a choice of treatments or surgery. If you want to try the treatment path, a pessary is a diaphragm like device that is inserted vaginally for support that you no longer get from your pc or pelvic floor muscle. There are also many other treatment available; typically women will utilize more than one treatment.

I'll do some digging on the urogyns in your area, if I don't have much luck there is someone in Canada I can refer you to that might have a better idea but I'd need you to send me an email so I could give her a way to contact you.

Sher