Urogynecology Community
Bladder discomfort after Bowel Movement

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

Bladder discomfort after Bowel Movement

I usually have this once in awhile that it didn't bother me much, but the last week has been really uncomfortable.
It seems that after I have a bowel movement late at night, I get bladder discomfort, like I have to go pee really bad, even though I just went.

Is it from me pushing or something?
The pushing could be related but this is a flag that there may be something bigger going on. Since everything in the pelvic cavity it so tightly packed, pushing or pressure to one organ/area may impact other areas. I doubt that it has anything to do with the fact that the bowel movement is at night rather than in the morning, but if there is some kind of prolapse going on (there are 5 types of POP), especially if you have more than one kind of pelvic organ prolapse, problems in one area may impact other areas (for ex a cystocele is a bladder prolapse, and a rectocele is a bowel prolapse). It would be a good idea to go in for a pelvic exam to see if there are any POP issues. If this is not the problem,a gynecologist may recommend you see a specialist-you should not have bladder pain just from having a b/m alone.
Just wondering if you have had much luck working this out?  I have had the same issue, as soon as I have a bowel movement, I get pain in my pelvis and feel like I need to urinate even when I have just gone. I have had every test and check up you can think of including two pap smears, ultrasounds and blood tests and the doctors cant find anything.  Hope you had some luck as I dont know what to do next??

gera5
Both you and SciFiGeek17 should seek a urogynecologist, this is the specialist for pelvic organ prolapse. So often women are put through a round of tests looking for digestive disorder issues and tests come back negative. Although a urogynecologist often order additional tests, they typically can tell you after a pelvic exam if you have pelvic organ prolapse and what type (there are 5 types of POP, 2 of which include the colon and bladder. I highly recommend you both seek one of these in your area for a consult. If you don't know how to find one in your area, send me a PM (private message and I can recommend a path to locate one or you can call your local hospitals and they may be able to direct you.

Good luck to both of you!

Sher
I just looked at your profile and see you are a male, this changes the path for you. You should seek help from a urologist since as a man you can't have pelvic organ prolapse.
Thanks so much for your advice Sher.  I live in Melbourne Australia, I have found one urogyno which luckily is close to home, there doesnt seem to be many in my state which is odd.  I have just had a bowel movement and I am feeling discomfort again, feel like I need to urinate but I actually dont.  Very strange as this has come on so suddenly.  How do you get POP? Is it is becasue of something I am doing?

gera5
I have info on the way.
Sher