Urogynecology Expert Forum
Bladder issues

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Bladder issues
I have an Interstem inplant in me for 3 years now because I kept leaking. I went to my doctor last week for nerve blocker injection in my stomach., (3rd time) Still have the pain. Had to go back on monday for them to check my bladder. It showed my ureathra was having spasms. They put me on Rapflo I could only take it for 2 days. I felt horrible, bad side effects. They told me to stop it might be interfering with my blood pressure medicine. They want to talk to me about putting another inplant in so then I will have 2, Now I will have a matching set. LOL. My question is Is this my only other option? I am only 42 yrs old. I have to got to the bathroom more than 12 times in 1 day. I really dont want to have another operation. The first inplant is not so comfortable.
While a second implant may be place, the data to support bilateral implants is lacking.  However, if your initial response with the Interstim was favorable, you may benifit from having one placed on the other side.  Again there is not much data on bilateral interstims.  Another option might be Botox injection in the bladder.  A possible complication is urinary retention that may require self catherization.  I suggest you discuss this with you physician.  Thank you for you question. Dr. Mathews