Urogynecology Community
Bladder pain associated with vaginal atrophy

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

My dr said I have vaginal atrophy and prescribed estrogen cream. She said the urinary pain and pressure were the result of the atrophy and a urinalysis for UTI was negative. I have used the cream for 4 days but the bladder issues remain the same. Is this normal or should I go to a urologist?
Did your dr tell you how long it would take for the cream to help with your atrophy?  I have been using vaginal estrogen cream now for a few months and have found it helps with vaginal dryness and keeps the vagina more healthy.  I was getting Vaginal Bacterial infections before I used it and also have problems with urine pain that are not a UTI.  Do you have any prolapse issues?  Have you seen a Urogynecologist?  You dont say what type of Dr you have seen.  A Urogyne can look at any prolapse issues.  I wonder if you could have a urethrocele.  I have one and it gives me UTI type pain especially after emptying bowels due to the pressure.  

4 days using the cream is not very long but I do feel you have questions unanswered.  Can you go to a Urogynecologist armed with your questions?  UTI pain is not an easy pain to deal with day in day out.  If you continue to have problems I would recommend you pursue a full answer to your questions.  I hope this helps.  Come back to use if you need further help.
Hi, I am also using estrace cream.  Vaginal atrophy can cause urinary pressure, frequency.  I am glad that you had your urine tested and it came back negative, did the doctor also have a culture taken?  This usually takes a few days to get results back but is more conclusive.  I was told to expect to see results from estrogen cream in two weeks to two month minimum.  I think at this point in your therapy it is too early to tell if the estrogen is helping.  Hopefully in the next few weeks you begin to get relief,if not you might consider a visit to a urologist.