Urogynecology Expert Forum
Bladder prolapse after hysterectomy

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Bladder prolapse after hysterectomy

I had a hysterectomy September 2005 for Ovarian Cancer which included a ressection of my bladder and bowels because of spread of disease. I am 28yrs old and have frequent pain in my bladder, which I have attributed to the uretic stents I have because of a ureter blockage. My question is, how concerned do I have to be about my bladder after a hysterectomy? By removing all those organs, does it leave the bladder with no support? Thank you in advance for your answer.
Becky
I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis of ovarian cancer. I trust that all of the disease has been resected.. One of the risk factors for vaginal prolapse is hysterectomy. Vaginal prolapse can often lead to a falling or drooping of the bladder, because the bladder is normally held up by the front wall of the vagina. If the front wall of the vagina is falling, then the bladder can fall down behid it. Bladder pain can indeed be caused by the stents that you have in place, but also by spasm of the pelvic floor muscles, which is amenavle to rehabilitation by a pelvic floor physical therapist.
1 Comment
A related discussion, bladder problems after years from a historectomy was started.
A related discussion, can you get a prolapse again after hysterectomy was started.