Urogynecology Community
Bladder prolapse

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

Bladder prolapse

How do I control pain and discomfort while waiting for a bladder prolapse repair operation?  Using incontinence pads for urine leakage has left me with small ulcers as well.
Hi susan, welcome to the forum. A couple of things come to mind while in hover mode prior to POP surgery. Often support helps with pain and pressure sensations, you can check out support garments (they are much more user friendly than the old girdles used to be and area available in just about any undies department) or you can go online by doing a search engine for prolapse + support garments. The garments made specifically for POP have support stays built in. For women who are standing a great part of the day, they can provide much needed core support to help prevent pain/discomfort.

Often a pessary is used prior to surgery to provide internal support as well as prevent leakage.  There is also a product available online that is inserted internally the way a tampon is, if you have an interest send me a PM and I can guide you to the site. If you only have leakage issues when you are doing activities that create downward pressure like jogging or weight training, you can insert a tampon during those activities and then remove it afterward.

If you are not doing Kegel's, it is a good idea to start so you get familar with technique (there is an article I posted to Health Discussions about Kegel's and Kegel Breathing), this is something all women should do all their adult lives.

Good luck, I hope one of these suggestions works for you.
Sher