Urogynecology Expert Forum
Bleeding every 2 weeks or more frequent

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Bleeding every 2 weeks or more frequent

I AM A 29 YEAR OLD MOM OF THREE.  SINCE SEPT OF 2006 I HAVE HAD ABNORMAL BLEEDING.  SOMETIMES IT HAPPENS EVERY 2 WEEKS SOMETIMES EVERY OTHER WEEK.  I HAD A FAILED PREGNANCY IN AUGUST OF 2006 AND HAVE HAD THESE PROBLEMS EVER SINCE.  HAVE GONE TO GYN DOC AND THEY HAVE TRIED TO CHANGE MY BIRTH CONTROLL, DOUBLE UP ONE IT, AND JUST GIVE IT TIME.  NOTHING AHS WORKED.  THE BLEEDING WAS AT FIRST JUST LIKE MY REGULAR PERIOD WOULD BE - NO BRIGHT RED BLOOD.  LATELY THE BLEEDING IS SOMETIMES HEAVIER AND REDDER - LIKE I CUT MY SELF.  SOMETIMES THERE ARE VERY SMALL CLOTS.  I HAVE SOME CRAMPING, BUT WHEN I HAVE HAD EXAMS I HAVE THIS PAIN WHEN MY UTERUS IS CHECKED ON THE ONE SAID THAT NEVER HURT BEFORE AND WHEN I HAD MY LAST PAP WHEN THEY SWABBED IT HURT ALOT AND NEVER HAS.  I'VE HAD ULTRA SOUNDS- NOTHING SHOWS, I HAD AN AN ULTRA SOUND WHERE THEY INFJECTED FLUID INTO THE UTERIS - NOTHING.  MY PAP IS NORMAL - HAD HPV A FEW YEARS AGO AND HAD A LEAP, HAD TO HAVE SMALL PART OF UTERUS REMOVED, AND DID THE KEMO THERAPUTIC TREATMENTS.  NOW THEY WANT TO DO A HYSTERSCOPE.  WHAT CAN ALL OF THIS MEAN OR BE.  NEED HELP VERY CONFUSED AND UNSURE OF WHAT IS WRONG.
Irregular bleeding can sometimes be due to hormonal imbalances, or it can be due to structural problems (e.g uterine fibroids, polyps, infection in the uterine lining, vaginal tears, less likely, retained products of conception).

Hormonal imbalance can occur if you are overweignt (or underweight), if you are breastfeeding. Thyroid disease, or certain kinds of hormone secreting brain tumors (prolactinomas) can also cause abnormal bleeding patterns.

Sounds like you had a negative sonohysterogram (the ultrasound test with water in the uterus), which probably means no polyps or fibroids. The hysteroscopy will probably get a better look at the uterine lining, and spot anything that the ultrasound may have missed. Your MD may also be able to get a culture of the uterus as well, to rule out endometritis.

For the hormonal workup, your MD may want to look at thyroid and prolactin levels, pregnancy test, and possibly do an ovulation test.

THe goal would be to look for an explanation for your abnormal bleeding