Urogynecology Expert Forum
Bowel Prolapse

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Bowel Prolapse
I had Bowel Prolapse at age 24 after having my son and it has been 6 months and I still do not want any more children but my first was not planned, if I was to get pregnant would I be in any danger of the bowels tearing from my sacrum or having it happening again?
I am not sure how severe your prolapse is. If it comes outside the labia when you are squatting and straining down, then it is considered severe, and many surgeons would recommedn that it be repaired surgically. If it is repaired surgically, then I would recommend that you deliver your next baby by cesarean to protect your pelvic floor. I have not heard of a delivery "tearing" the bowels from the sacrum, and this is unlikely to happen to you. If you are worried, go see a trained urogynecologist, who can evaluate your prolapse, and give you more detailed, specific advise about treatment and future childbearing.

Dr. Hoyte
A related discussion, Prolapsed bowel reoccurring after abdominal rectopexy and sigmoid resection at 34 years of age was started.