Urogynecology Expert Forum
Bowel prolapse?

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Bowel prolapse?

Hi there
I went to my gynaecologist because I had a bulging feeling in my vagina just above the opening.  It started very suddenly after straining with constipation.  Sometimes it felt worse than others.  It was worse just after I had emptied my bowels and I found myself putting supporting pressure on the vagina when having a bowel movement.

After a couple of weeks I noticed a constant feeling of pressure in my rectum, although the intensity varied.  The rectum feels full even after a bowel movement and it is uncomfortable, especially when I am sitting down.  

The bulge in my vagina is hardly noticeable now, but I still have the other symptoms six weeks on.  

My gynaecologist examined my vagina internally and found nothing.  I had blood tests and scans which revealed nothing unusual except that I have a tilted uterus and a couple of fibroids – nothing to worry about he said.  He says it could be a bowel prolapse, when I described my symptoms again, and has referred me on.

I would like to know if this is possible, given my symptoms.  Would I get a bulge in my vagina if I had a bowel prolapse?  Is there anything else it could be?

I would be grateful for any comments.
The symptoms you describe are consistent with Prolapse.  This may involve the bladder or cystocele, rectum or rectocele, small bowel or enterocele, and/or the uterus or top of the vagina.  These are easily evaluated on exam when having a patient strain or push down in her pelvis during the exam.  You might consider getting a second opinion from a Urogynecologist.