Urogynecology Expert Forum
Bowel prolapse?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Bowel prolapse?

Hi there
I went to my gynaecologist because I had a bulging feeling in my vagina just above the opening.  It started very suddenly after straining with constipation.  Sometimes it felt worse than others.  It was worse just after I had emptied my bowels and I found myself putting supporting pressure on the vagina when having a bowel movement.

After a couple of weeks I noticed a constant feeling of pressure in my rectum, although the intensity varied.  The rectum feels full even after a bowel movement and it is uncomfortable, especially when I am sitting down.  

The bulge in my vagina is hardly noticeable now, but I still have the other symptoms six weeks on.  

My gynaecologist examined my vagina internally and found nothing.  I had blood tests and scans which revealed nothing unusual except that I have a tilted uterus and a couple of fibroids – nothing to worry about he said.  He says it could be a bowel prolapse, when I described my symptoms again, and has referred me on.

I would like to know if this is possible, given my symptoms.  Would I get a bulge in my vagina if I had a bowel prolapse?  Is there anything else it could be?

I would be grateful for any comments.