Urogynecology Expert Forum
Connective Tissue Disease and use of Mesh
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Connective Tissue Disease and use of Mesh

Dear Dr., I hope you can help me make a decision.  I am scheduled for Robotic Sacralcolpopexy with polypropylene mesh for Apical Vag. Vault Prolapse at Mayo Clinic in May 2012. ( Previous POP repair failed in 1997).  The surgeon knows I have an autoimmune disease but doesn't see a problem using the synthetic mesh. I am worried because  in 2007 I had a succcessful rectopexy with resection for rectal prolapse,( POP not repaired at that time) in which the colorectal surgeon said she did not use mesh because it was contraindicated for people with connective tissue disease .   I have Sjogren's Syndrome with mild CKD (fluctuates between stage 2 and 3).  I have searched the internet for answers to this question of contraindication of mesh in connective tissue disease and have found little information.  Are there studies/research on this subject that will help me make an informed decision whether to have the surgery with mesh as planned or to seek an alternative material? Thanks.
Tags: contraindication????