Urogynecology Expert Forum
Constant Urge to Urinate, strong smelling urine

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

I'm 26 years old and have never had a kidney or bladder infection until 2 years ago.  
The past two years, about once a month, I get the constant urge to urinate and it lasts about 3 days.  The problem is.  Nothing comes out and the only relief seems to sit upright on the toilet as if I was going to urinate.  A few days before the urge starts I notice that when I urinate my urine has a very very strong smell.  I really can't explain it.  It's not an Urine smell.. It's a little like ammonia. It is EXTREMELY strong.

To relieve the pain I take an over the counter urinary pain relief medicine and also have been prescribed Bactrim for it repeatedly.  I have been tested for STDs and everything is clean there.  

Any ideas of what the smell is caused from and why this always happens about once a month? Could we be looking at something more serious and some different testing?
PLease have your urine cultured for a bladder infection. If this was negative, make sure your STD check included testing of the urethra. Also, your gynecologist should do a pelvic exam to evaluate for any abnormalities. You will also need to have a urinalysis. THe ammonia smell is not normal, and needs to be evaluated.
A related discussion, same symptoms was started.