Urogynecology Expert Forum
Could I have material left over from a catheter?

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

I gave birth to my daughter 3 weeks ago and had used a catheter. I was looking in the mirror to see if my stitches that I recieved on my labia were healed yet and noticed something sticking out of my clitoris. So I pulled the skin upwards to tighten it so I could see it better and it seemed that particular area came out much more than it should have. It had never come out that far before. It looked like there was bits of toilet paper stuck to it but when I pulled on a piece and examined it, it looked like it was some type of string material. Could material have been left from the catheter? I also have periodic moments throughout the day where I get a warm throbbing feeling. But it feels different from sexual arousal, it feels a little uncomfortable the moments that it happens. Is this normal after delivery? Do I need to see a doctor to make sure everything is okay?
Swelling is common & things wont look the same for a while as your body heals.  The string matterial most likely was suture used for repair after you're delivery.  You should be scheduled for your post partum exam soon & your doctor will be able to evaluate your progress as far as healing.