Urogynecology Community
Cystocele & Pubic bone popping

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

Cystocele & Pubic bone popping

I wasn't sure where to post this, but this seemed like as good a place as any....

Over 18 months ago I gave birth to my 4th (and smallest) child.  About halfway through my pregnancy I started having a lot of pain in my pelvic area especially around my pubic bone.  I assumed it was from the weight of the baby and my advancing age (I turned 41 just before the baby was born).  After giving birth the pain did not go away as I expected, but again, I thought it was just taking me longer to recover since I was older.  My ob/gyn discovered I had a mild cystocele, but did not think it was causing my pain.  Finally, my PCP referred me to a physical therapist thinking maybe I had a groin pull.  I went to PT for 6w in the spring and my pain has improved a great deal.  Now, however, I have noticed a popping sensation in my pubic area when I do my PT exercises or move in certain ways.  It doesn't really hurt, but it is a bit uncomfortable sometimes.  Most of the time the popping seems to be in the center, but occasionally it seems to be to one side.  Also it sometimes feels more like grinding than popping.  Any ideas?
sorry for delay in commenting, out of town and laptop problems,  hang in there a bit longer, I'll get back to you as quick as I can!
Sher
HI  again Glenda, sorry for delay, my laptop puked and I'll be playing hunt and peck until I get it fixed.

I've got to say this one has me stumped-I've never heard of bone popping related to POP. Did you question your PT? I would pose this question to her for sure. Is the PT a specialist in pelvic floor disorders? If not give me a shout and I can send you a PM with a link to find these specialists.

The mild pain could truly be related to the cystocele, pain is very common with all types of POP. This is also something that a pelvic floor specialist in PT would be addressing. Let me know if you need  more info on digging into this specialty.

Sher
Hi, Sherrie,

Thanks for trying to help.  When I saw the PT, there was NO popping--it's just started in the last few weeks.  I did mention it to my gyn when I had my annual check-up earlier this month, but he didn't offer much comment about it.

The PT I saw was just one in a chain of PT offices here in the area.  My GP sent me there.  The original pain is much diminished and only bothers me now if I'm active a lot or for a long time.  The popping isn't really painful, but just bothersome.  It even happens when I just shift my hips a little when I'm lying in bed at night.  I guess I'm just falling apart in my "old" age.  :)

Glenda
Do ask your PT when you go in next Glenda, you should be able to get some kind of answer. Most popping sounds are related to shifting of air pockets and are harmless but it can't hurt to ask the PT. I would also ask the PT if he/she is certified in CAPP or WCS, that is specifically includes women's pelvic health. If not, there might be someone else in their practice who is; you would get the best result from someone trained in this health issue.

Boy I understand the "falling apart" stuff, I swear if maintenance takes me any longer every day, I'm going to have to get up yesterday to get it all in, ha!
Sher