Urogynecology Community
Cystocele

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

Cystocele

Have a grade 2-3 cystocele. Have a history of recurring UTIs  average 1-2 a month. Also have overdistended bladder going on for 23 years now and have to self chath. Also worrried about infections after surgery because of past surgeries.
doctor wants to do surgery to fix cystolcele. Should I.
Hello ANN714
Why,  not try a perineal rehabilitation before considering intervention ? (in french : pourquoi ne pas essayer une rééducation périnéale avant de vous faire opérer ?)
Hi Ann714, Welcome to the forum!

Since you have an extended record of reoccurring UTIs, it sure makes sense to find some kind of treatment to relieve such a long-term issue. Seek a urogynecologist; this specialist can give you both surgical and non-surgical treatment options after you disclose your concerns about surgery. I had surgery to repair grade 3 cystocele, rectocele, and enterocele and although it was a pretty rough surgery, I am delighted with the end result, but it is an extremely personal decision whether or not to choose surgery and you must choose the path that is right for you. There are treatment specialists to help you if you choose a treatment instead of surgery; as FrancoiseS says, there are techniques for rehabilitating that a urogyn can guide you to.
Bonjour FrancoiseS, welcome to the forum!

So glad to see you sharing your experience with members!
Hello sherrieP
Thank you for your welcome. Will post in English and French
(vais devoir poster en anglais et en français pour une meilleure compréhension, désolée)
What a geat FrancoiseS, it has given me the idea to suggest to others I know that are from different countries post in both lanuguages as they join the forum, thanks much!
:)
Geat what is it? Please (Que veut dire "geat" ?)
That was fatigue "talking" Francoise, a typo only, duh! Was just trying to say great idea. (I can see you trying to figure out translation for geat and wondering why nothing was coming up!)  Not enough sleep on this end...
:)
;-) Great idea, I'am glad (merci beaucoup pour votre aide )
What techniques for rehabilitating are used in urogyn for POP and  they are prescibed before or after surgery ,
In french : quelles sont les techniques de rééducation utilisées pour traiter des descentes d'organes et sont-elles prescrites avant ou aprés une intervention ?.

Once a woman has been diagnosed with POP, there are several treatments a urogyn can recommend to women; treatment type will depend on which kind of POP, degree of severity, and whether the patient does or does not want surgical intervention. Most if not all of the treatments can be utilized to avoid surgery (effectiveness will vary depending on how well women follow through with treatment and sometimes degree of severity) as well as for maintenance post surgery. Non-surgical treatments include a pessary, biofeedback, Kegels, core strengthening exercises like pilates/Pfilates, electrical stimulus, HRT or bio-identical hormone replacement therapy to help reintroduce some estrogen balance, or support garments. A woman can also check out exercising the psoas muscle and myofascial therapy, I'm currently investigating an internal myofascial treatment to see how effective it can be.
Vous avez raison de dire que le traitement dépend du type de POP.
Pour ma part, lorsque la patiente n'est pas prête que ce soit mentalement ou autre à se faire opérer, je lui propose une rééducation périnéale type biofeedback sous forme d'entretien.
Les exercices de Kegel sont importants à condition qu'ils soient bien pratiqués. Pour ce qui est du pessaire, il est peu utilisé en France car souvent mal supporté.
Je me renseigne aussi sur le traitement myofascial et voici un lien mais en français qui en parle  :

http://phil443.unblog.fr/2008/02/26/la-relaxation-pelvienne-et-la-prostatite-chronique/

Excusez-moi si j'ai posté en français mais cela m'est plus facile.

Here is a rough translation of FrancoiseS comment.

You are right to say that the treatment depends on the type of POP For my part, when the patient n' is not ready that it is mentally or different to be made operate, I propose a standard rehabilitation périnéale to him biofeedback in form d' maintenance. The exercises of Kegel are important in condition qu' they are well practised. As regards the pessaire, it is used in France because often badly supported little. I also get information about the myofascial treatment and here a bond but in French who speaks about it: http://phil443.unblog.fr/2008/02/26/la-relaxation-pelvienne-et-la-prostatite-chronique/ Excuse me if j' posted in French but that m' is easier