Urogynecology Expert Forum
Difficult problem PLEASE HELP!
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Difficult problem PLEASE HELP!

I am a 22 year old girl who used to self harm, and unfortunately due to self harm injury can no longer pass urine unaided. I am permanently catheterised with a 12ch indwelling urethral foley catheter. My problem today is two fold ... Firstly I have had extreme pain in my urethra, bladder spasms, leakage, and lower back pain for two days now due to the catheter and I'm wondering if I should attend a and e to get it checked out as my next urology appointment is not until next Wednesday and I can't stand it, as I have PTSD and the kind of pain the catheter causes brings on flashbacks of the trauma I suffered as a child. Difficult one. Further to this... I have to make the decision whether to have a supra pubic catheter... My doctor has initially advised against it due to saying they can cause problems etc but not really giving a substantial reason why, however for me it would be a way out of this flashback causing scenario ... Any ideas on what I should do much appreciated thank you :)
1344197_tn?1392822771
Sorry to read of your problem.  You should contact your doctor if you are experiencing pain.  Depending on your prognosis, are you going to have to self cath or have a catheter permanently, you could consider a Mitrofanoff procedure.  This is a procedure done to create a catherizable stoma for the bladder.  I would suggest you discuss this with your Urologist.  
J. Kyle Mathews, MD
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
1344197_tn?1392822771
J. Kyle Mathews, MD, DVMBlank
Plano Urogynecology Associates
Plano, TX
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker