Urogynecology Expert Forum
Enlarged Uterus Pressing On Bladder

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Enlarged Uterus Pressing On Bladder

Medical History:

50 year old still having periods (very heavy for the last year)
removal of 2 large ovarian cysts 2 years ago
(surgeon said uterus looked bumpy...probably fibroids)
cervical polyps removed twice
cancer in situ of cervix 20 years ago (no problems since)
hematuria (usually microscopic) off and on for the last 15 years
some mild back pain lately..mid way on right side...not constant
Stomach seems a little larger than normal but no discomfort there
weight gain of about 10 lbs in the last year (unusual for me)
normal pap a year ago
no family history of cervical, ovarian or uterine cancer.

Went to urologist recently for the hematuria.  CT and Cysto showed normal kidneys and bladder.  Urologist noted that CT showed a grossly enlarged uterus pressing on my bladder; he would not comment any further.  I am going to schedule a gyn appt soon to see what is happening with the uterus.  Given the history, what is the likelyhood of fibroids vs cancer?  If it turns out to be fibroids, is it safe to wait until after menopause to see if they shrink or would the increasing size of the uterus create a hazard to the bladder and other organs?

Thanks for your advice.

THe enlarged uterus is usually either fibroids or adenomyosis (this is an ingrowth of the uterine lining into the uterine muscle). Adenomyosis can cause painful periods, but usually not heavy bleeding. Fibroids and adenomyosis are usually not cancerous, but can be painful, and fibroids can sometimes push on the bladder or bowels, making it difficult to have a bowel movement, or making you feel to urinate all the time. Neither of these are life threatening.

Many women choose to wait until menopause so that the fibroids can shrink, and perhape relieve the symptoms of pressure.  As long as the fibroids are not causing you to retain urine in your bladder (you should have this checked with a 'postvoid residual test'- which can be done by your urologist or gynecologist), they are not a life threatening matter.

I AM A 43 YEAR OLD FEMALE. I WAS RECENTLY DIGNOSED WITH A VERY LARGE UTERUS AND FIBROID. I HAD UNCONTROLABLE VAGINAL BLEEDING HAD TO BE HOSPITALIZED AND GIVEN 2UNITS OF BLOOD TRANSFUSION. MY HEMOGLOBIN DROPPED TO 7. THEN I HAD TO HAVE AN EMERGENCY D&C WHICH CAME BACK FINE THEY PUT ME ON THE DEPO SHOT TO CONTROL THE BLEEDING. I HAVE TO HAVE A COMPLETE HISTORECTOMY AND NOW IT FEELS AS THOUGH MY UTERUS IS PUSHING ON MY BLADDER MAKING ME FEEL LIKE I HAVE TO GO TO BATHROOM ALL OF THE TIME. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THESE SYMTOMS (symptoms)?
A related discussion, Back pain pressing on bladder was started.
A related discussion, large ovarian cyst was started.