Urogynecology Expert Forum
False Negative of UTi?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

False Negative of UTi?

I am pretty sure I have a UTI since I had bad pain in my abdomen, side, and back. It hurts to urinate and even though I am drinking a lot of water I only urinate very small amount. Since its the weekend I went to the store and got over the counter medicine call AZO for pain relief just to wait it out until Monday comes and I can see my PCP. But before I did that I was in a lot of pain and my mom gave some of her macrobid. I was desperate so I took it. My question is will having taken it for two days cause a false negative when I go to the doctor and get tested for a UTI on monday?
1344197 tn?1392822771
It may.  Macrobid is often the antibiotic of choice for treatment of urinary tract infections.  The usual course is 5 days.  It is possible that taking two days may make your UA negative, however, the doctor will probable have you complete and additional 3 days of antibiotics.  J. Kyle Mathews, MD
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank
Marathon Running Done Over Many Yea...
May 21 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
233488 tn?1310696703