Urogynecology Community
First Aid for Prolapse

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

First Aid for Prolapse

I am searching for alternatives to surgery for my cystocele and rectocele.  Has anyone heard of Christine Ann Kent and First Aid for Prolapse or Saving the Whole Woman?  She seems to go against the mainstream medical treatments.  Her materials are somewhat expensive, and I just wanted to know if anyone had tried her methods and what they thought. Thanks!!
Tags: prolapse
Hi, welcome to the Urogynecology Forum. I'm so glad you did not take Kent's advice at face value, she is certainly entitled to her own opinion but I feel it is truly every woman's individual choice whether to have surgery or utilize treatments for POP. I chose to have surgery to treat the 3 types of POP I had but I never push women one direction or the other. I know many many women who prefer for many different reasons to go the treatment path. There are good options both ways. What will be beneficial for you will depend on type as well as degree of POP. You  can find a bit more info as well by reading some of the posts on the forum.

Was your POP diagnosed by a urogynecologist? They are the specialists for this health issue and are the ones who typically can specifiy most accurately what grade of POP you have. They can also advice you with treatment options specific to your needs. There are many choices for treatment, pessary, kegels (done properly to be effective, I posted an article to the health pages on the upper left of this page for more info), biofeedback, electrical stimulation, myofascial release therapy, pilates/pfilates or other exercise programs, support garments, estrogen replacement therapy (traditional as well as bio-identical). Typically if you go treatment path you utilize more than one kind of treatment. Often physicians refer people to physical therapists for POP treatment guidance.

Know that there are choices. I can send you additional info on specifics once I have a better idea what you are looking for; I am currently out of the country for business so am not online as quickly as typical. If there is something specific you need suggestions on you can PM me and I can send more info.

Good luck!
Sher

Good luck!
Sher
I bought the Saving the Whole Woman book when I was first looking into POP. I have cystocele and rectocele too. I did not find the book very helpful. She had uterine prolapse and decided to not have surgery. I agree with Sherrie, Kent has her experience and her opinion which she is entitled to, but for me, it wasn't all that helpful. I was temped to buy the First Aid for Prolapse as well because I desperately wanted some help, but did not. Hope that's helpful.  
I've heard too many women say their POP has gotten worse after utilizing Kent's suggestions but I haven't checked them out personally so really can't say. Always best to procede with caution when trying anything new and listen to and trust the signals your body sends you.

:)
Sher