Urogynecology Community
Frequent urination at night

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

Frequent urination at night

I have been experiencing frequent urination from past two days that too only during the night time. I have actually Polycystic ovary and it was because of Thyroid gland. So i have been taking thyrox-.75 mg for last two years.

I have to apply lot of pressure while urinating, but still frequently need to get up during nights.

Could you please let me know what could be the  reason?

Thanks,
Pavi
Hello,  I am sorry you are experiencing frequent urination.  I suggest you see a urologist.  It also might help if you post this question in the urology topic and also in the ask the doctor forum under urology.  I hope they can give you direction and answers.  Good luck!
Applying pressure to urinate can cause other problems and put a lot of stress on your bladder.
Go to your Dr for a referal and check out if you have an infection as well.  Like summer59 says a urologist would be the next step after making sure you have no infection.

Thanks a lot.
Also because of  polysistic ovary and thyroid my periods too are irregular. Last time I got my periods was 1st Dec 2012 and till now havent yet got it.

I am actually showing a gynacaelogist. But I was told that its ok even if i dont get my periods upto 6 months.

Would it be good if I go to my regular gyn who knows my history explaining her about my problem and then goto a urologist? or shall i see the urologist first.

I am actually under lot of stress and mental anxiety which I read on net that this could also be a reason for all these variations in the body.
When is your appt to see your gyne?  You may wish to see them first if you dont have too long of a wait but even then I would recommend you speak to your regular GP about your problems with passing urine as your symptoms do need addressing as soon as you can.  Your GP may send you to a Urologist anyway.  Discuss this with them as it is important.

Let us know how you get on.
I have to take an appointment and there are no free space till 22nd Feb. Also I am giving a competitive exam on 21st Feb. So thought I will get appointment right on 23rd Feb.

Will it be too late? Still 10 more days to go from today.
I am actually scared..what could be the problem, please could you tell me.
Have you put your question on the Urology forum on medhelp?  You may want to put it on the Ask the Dr side of the forums as well.  
I would go to the GP and ask them the same questions.  If you have retention of urine they may train you to self catheterise if the feel it is necessary.  However, you need to find out the cause.
If you have ruled out infection then more tests may be needed to be done.
I have had urine retention and also have a slow urine flow but this is due to prolapse for me and can be agrivated by urine infection which may not be the case for you.

Have you seen your GP about this?  You need clarification.
How are you? Thyroid medication at some level can cause frequent urination (plenty of urine). You may loose myxoedema. Your weight can decrease gradually. I have flaggid bladder (detrusor muscle), and I often have to aid urination with other muscles. This varies much with time (I don't know why). I have polyuria and sometimes have to urinate as many as five times at night. My polyuria may not any longer result from thyroid medication, but may be caused by diabetes insipidus or by some other unknown cause.

Have you measured your daily urine? Have you enough magnesium?