Urogynecology Community
Going throught a rectocele surgery experience

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

Hello:
I have searched the web to find a place to write to women who are seeking support for their rectocele situation. I just had rectocele repair surgery three weeks ago. Before I had the repair, I had looked many times for encouraging words or voices of women who had had the same problem. Now I am in a position to offer my thoughts and experience to you.
I feel that my rectocele became a problem or came into being after a 2003 exploratory surgery which turned out to be a large uterine fibroid removal. The doctor did his best with the actual procedure but he failed to be proactive or to consider the effects of constipation POST-surgery.
That is when my rectocele occurred - when I was terribly constipated after surgery. So, PREVENTION would have been a good thing at that time.
7 years later -  I had rectocele repair surgery on October 7, 2010. I would be happy to talk to any one who would like to ask me about it.

There are many aspects to consider and it's still fresh in my mind:

1. I had NO MESH.
2. I got two three opinions before I did it. I chose my doctor carefully.
3. Three weeks post-op, I am glad I had the repair.

Please contact me if I can share any of my experience to help you.

Pomponette
So glad you sent in comments! It's always great to hear from women willing to share their experiences with others, awareness of POP issues is lacking for sure. I'm going to send you a PM, am out of town right now but will be back in my office tomorrow.

Welcome to the Urogynecology Forum!
Sher
How was your surgery? How are you feeling now?

I am due to have rectocele operation very soon

Heard so many bad things about the op and watched some utube videos really scared me

I have burning sensation down there all the time.

Any advice would be welcomed thanks
I have a rectocele ( amongst 5 prolapses and an intussusception ) but have not yet had surgery yet.  However, I am in contact with many women who have had this operation and have spoken to Urogynes as well.  What type of surgery are you going to have?  Is it mesh/no mesh.  Abdominal or vaginal surgery?  There could be differing lengths of healing depending on what route you take.  Where and why do you have burning in this area?  What degree is your rectocele and how long have you had it?  

It is important to get a proper examination from a good Urogynecolgist and to ask lots of questions at the same time so you understand exactly what your medical condition is and what remedy they suggest including any complications and what experience they have of doing this operation etc.,  
Let us know how you get on.  I hope this helps.