Urogynecology Expert Forum
Had urethral sling surgery last year for SUI

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Last June, I had a midurethral sling surgery for stress urinary incontinence.  I'm due for a followup next week but have a question for you first.  The urinary stream is weak and, as if doing Kegal exercises and I tighten those pelvic muscles, the stream stops completely, as if during the urination, and my phone rings, there is no stopping in mid-stream.  Is this normal after this surgery?  I know that if I bear down, the urine stops also but that's because the sling is activated.  Also for about the last week, urination has been much more frequent, maybe every 2-3 hours, is this a sign of an infection.  No burning or anything else.  Do you think the sling needs to be cut?  I did have the slow stream at my last appt. in September but my doctor said that cutting the sling was an option but will that return me to the SUI before the surgery?  Thank you.
You are correct. Bearing down activates the sling. Squeezing the pelvic muscles can sometimes stop the stream. It is probably not a good idea to interrupt urination once you have atarted and there is more left to go. Voiding every 3 hours is considered normal, but if you are going more than you are used to, then certainly get yourself checked for a bladder infection.  Slow stream often happens after sling surgery, because the sling often alters the bladder/urethral anatomy. However, you still should beable to completely empty your bladder.

Dr. Hoyte
A related discussion, vaginal dryness? was started.