Urogynecology Expert Forum
How to retrain my bladder after a foley catheter?

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

I had a vaginal hysterectomy back on May the 13th. Along with the hysterectomy my doctor also did some extensive work on my bladder. As a result of all of the swelling I was unable to urinate when the hospital took the foley catheter out and I had to wear it home. Since then we have tried to take it out, and every time I do I do start peeing on my own but my doctor is unsatisfied with the amount that is coming out because I pee 100 ml every 30-40 min, but then I go to the office and then they straight catheter to see what is left and it's normally around 300 ml. After having it out and back in 3 times in the past 2 weeks I had enough so when it was taken out this past Friday and the same result I refused to have it put back in. So, instead he gave me a few straight catheters and said to do that at night before bed and then in the mornings for 2 days and if it was still the same I really needed to have the foley back. I do not want it back so my question is, what can I do to strengthen or retrain my bladder and the muscles down there to make it start pushing out more urine at a time? I know there has to be something that I can do WITHOUT the foley catheter to help myself. Kegels? exercising? more water? I could see it if I wasn't able to pee at all, but I am. He told me the biggest concern was possible infection, but I am on 2 very strong antibiotics and I am drinking a lot of water, and honestly I feel that there is just as much risk of me getting an infection if he keeps reinserting a catheter as there is if I go without and just try to make my bladder strengthen and do it's job finally. Please give me some tips advice that I can do to help my bladder get back to full strength. thank you!!
I had rectoceal, a sling for uretha last of Dec. with catheter in for 3 days.  I could not void very much at first but noticed if I stood to wipe I felt the urge again.  I went in the shower and stood up and tried and it worked.  This is probably a long shot as you may have a different problem but it is worth a try.  they would not let me go home from hosp. before I could go a certain amount.  I don't know if exercises would help but I'd try everything you can think of as I know it is frustrating and uncomfortable.  good luck hope you find something soon.  
A related discussion, bladder training was started.
A related discussion, clean intermtten catherization was started.