Urogynecology Expert Forum
Is there any evidence a copper IUD can cause bladder problems?

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

I was diagnosed with OAB (dry) a few months ago. I had been having trouble with sudden urgency about a year ago and then I got a really bad UTI, which worsened the symptoms. After the bacteria was gone, the symptoms continued at quite a severe level (occasionally found it difficult to leave the house) up until the doctor noticed by copper IUD had slipped and took it out. A couple of days after it was removed the urgency had all but disappeared. I had also had sever abdominal bloating (looked pregnant!) for a couple of years, which got worse when my bladder was bad, that also disappeared after the IUD was taken out. My bladder has continued to be sensitive to the touch and sex is very uncomfortable (I feel like I need the toilet if anything touches the front wall of my vagina - towards bladder) But the symptoms seem to be getting better with tropsium chloride. I also have some pain, but this is in the lower left of my abdomen, beside my bladder. This pain is normally after sex. Other pain I have is a dull ache when I am going to the toilet or sometimes sharp pains. I very occasionally get cramps when my bladder is filling but usually pain is when I'm voiding. The sensitivity in my bladder is worst straight after urination or straight after sex.I only suffer mild pain.

Could the IUD have done this to me or was it a coincidence that the symptoms dramatically lessened when it was taken out? None of my doctors have mentioned the IUD and this has confused me as when having it removed helped so much I just assumed this had been the cause all along.

One other question: A few years ago I experienced some fluid coming out at orgasm. I realise there is a debate about female ejaculation but those on the side that believes it is urine say it can be linked to OAB. I have not been able to orgasm since this experience (which happened three times) as I am squeamish about urine. Is there any physical problems that can cause this and that can be solved?
I am not aware of any data suggesting copper causing bladder problems.  Regarding the second question; Evaluation of the vagina, bladder and urethra may be appropriate to look for a cystocele (fallen bladder), urethral diverticuli, and a urethral closing pressures can be measured.  If the pressure is low, urethral bulking agents can be used to help avoid loss of urine at the time of orgasm.  A urogynecologist in you area should be able to help you.  
When you say urethral closing pressure, does this have to do with the pelvic floor muscles at all? I have been doing some exercises if this may help.

Thankfully, my vagina has been examined several times and no problems found so, hopefully, this isn't anything too serious.

Thank you very much for your help.