Urogynecology Expert Forum
Meatus abnormality

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Meatus abnormality

Hi, for a couple of months now I found something on the tip of my penis (I'm not sure if it was always there).

Basically, next to the urethral opening, on the right side, there is a sometimes vertical, sometimes rounded area slightly darker (reddish, I'd say more pinkish actually) than the rest. The reason I noticed it is that it contrasts with the rest of the glans (glands) (glands).

Now the weird part: it's most visible under white, clear light (like a window); if I move under artificial light (bulb), it seems to disappear. It's also most noticeable when the penis is wet (water or urine) but less when dry or erect.

There is no pain, no blood, no itch, no nothing. When you look closely, you can see the skin is smooth, both on this and area and outside of it, but you can notice that in the point in which it transitions, there the skin is "engraved".

I am a conscious hypochondriac, in the sense that I've learn to not worry about stuff like this, but this is bugging me. Do you think it's serious and deserves a visit to the doctor?
Please refer your question to the Urology Forum. J. Kyle Mathews, MD