Urogynecology Expert Forum
Monarc Sling Complications

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Monarc Sling Complications
I had the monarc sling put in in March of 2010 for stress incontinence.  Ever since than I have had nothing but problems.  The worst part is I am in constant pain on my left size.  Have pain in my bowels, my left size to the left of my ovarie and down my leg where it actually feels like my leg to my foot is going numb due to losing circulation.  It seems like other people have had these issues.  Can this be from the surger as I never had any of these symptoms before it.  If it is, can the monarc sling be taken out?  I can't live in this constant pain every day.  Thank you.

Sorry to read of your problem.  The Monarc Slings is what is called a transobturator sling.  Pain in the groin radiating down the leg has been reported with this approach.  There is nothing wrong with this approach as it has proven to be  effective, and safe.  However, pain as I describe has been reported.  It is difficult to say if this is causing your pain but the sling can be removed. I would suggest you contact your doctor and discuss the your options.  JKM
A related discussion, Monarc Sling safety was started.