Urogynecology Expert Forum
No Bladder function after radical hysterectomy

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

I am 5 weeks post op from a radical hysterectomy and have no bladder function at all.  I had a foley cath in for the first 3 weeks and now I am self cathing every 4-5 hours.  My oncologist thinks it just takes some people more time to heal.  I also had a TOT procedure in April 10 for a leaky bladder and have had no bladder problems after that surgery.  What are my next steps?  How long can this go on and can it be permanent?  I am planning on seeing a urologist soon.

Thanks,
Erin
Sorry to read of your problem.  I would agree with your plans to see a Urologist for evaluation of this issue.  It would be unusual for this condition to be permanent provided you had normal bladder function prior to the surgery.  I can not tell from you post when the TOT was done.  I would be concerned that you might be obstructed if the  TOT  was done at the same time as the Radical hysterectomy and you were unable to void post operatively.  If the TOT was done prior to the Radical Hyst and you voided normally post operatively, I would be less concerned the sling was contributing to the problem.
BUMP