Urogynecology Expert Forum
Odd smell?

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Odd smell?
I am a 58 year old female.  My urine has a strong almond smell, especially the first void of the morning or during the night as needed.  This has been happening for several months no matter what type of foods I eat.  Another strange thing occurred at approximately the same time is that I began smelling a burning, sweet smell.  I don't know if this strange issue is related to my kidneys or what.  I have not had an increase in thirst and urination which would make me think of type 2 diabetes.  In fact, I don't believe I urinate near the amount that I used to normally.  I do have a history of urinary problems, one of which is that the top right kidney is scarred from having been born with renal reflux and resulting untreated urinary infections.  I've also have interstatial cystitis, had kidney stones that passed on their own and had a pre-cancerous tumor removed from my bladder.