Urogynecology Expert Forum
Pain on right side only during intercourse

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

During intercource with my fiance there is a sharp pain on the right side that feels very deep (like a pulled muscle or a tear). It goes from the opening of vagina straight up to just below my right hip bone in a diagnol direction. It only hurts during intercourse, and sitting still I can feel a pressure or tightness along that line. It started 3 weeks ago. After the first time it hurt we let a week go by before we tried anything and it was still excrutaitingly painful. So then we waited 2 weeks before we attempted intercourse again and everything was fine the first night, then the night the pain nearly sent me through the roof with searing deep pain in the same area as if I had pulled the muscle or torn it again inside. I can find the exact place with my finger if I push on it. It is absolutely horrible. I went to the doc and was tested for STD's and my test came back clean, then they did an ultrasound and that came back normal. What could it possibly be? PLease help me....
This sounds exactly like myofascial pain with active trigger points in the pelvic floor muscles. This can occur commonly in women. Please get evaluated by a gynecologist. If the workup is negative for std, pregnancy, pelvic masses, etc, then please see a pelvic floor physical therapist for an evaluation. If you do have a trigger point issue, the physical therapist can usually offer therapy which can cure it.
Thank you for all your help in this matter. I had been to the gynecologost at the point I had written the comment and all was indeed negative so....I belive I will find a pelvic floor therapist. The only problem is I am having trouble locating one in San Antonio, Texas. Do you have any leads for me? Thank you soooooo much for your help.

April
San Antonio...
Find the nearese academic medical center, ask for the division of urogynecology in the dept of ob/gyn. Ask to see a urogynecologist and request a referral to a pelvic floor specialist.
I have these same pains while having intercourse. But these pains come and go all.time. regardless if I have sex. I do have hpv. Just diagnosed in July. It's been taken care of by the leep procedure. I also had my uterus looked at in both outside and inside. Nothing was found. I get these Sharp pains that shoot down my groin and inner thigh. As well as across my abdomen . It starts need my ovary. I have had every test done by a gyn and nothing is found and he.tells me he don't know what causes my pain. It's tender to the.touch if u press on my tummy. Also internal exams cause me to jump out of my skin. What could this b and what do u recommend