Urogynecology Expert Forum
Passed small string-like material in urine, 5 weeks after midurethral s...

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Passed small string-like material in urine, 5 weeks after midurethral sling surgery, also possible hemorrhoid?

Just 4 weeks after midurethral sling surgery, I passed what looked like a small string-like material in my urine.  It actually was on the toilet paper.  So far, there has been 3 pieces, one of which I kept and thought maybe I should show it to doctor at my appt. next week, but there were 2 others pieces at another time.  Do you think I should show it to her?  Could it have been a part of a suture?  There were two vaginal tears at the time of surgery and sutures were called Polysorb.  Shouldn't those be absorbed into the skin.  I have no bleeding.  Just the frequency and slow stream after such surgery. Also have had a bulge near the rectum, at nearly the same time.  No pain with it, no bleeding, no itching, nothing else.  I thought it may be a hemorrhoid but I've never had them before.  The size has gone down though.  Could this all be related and should I really bring the subject up with my urologist next week, even if I have no further problems?
It is likely that these are sutures from your sling  procedure. The absorbable sutures usually melt away by about 4 weeks, and break off into the vagina, which is where they could have come from; If so, this is not a problem. However, if you are absolutely certain that they came out of the urethra, then you should show it to your doctor. Your doctor may wish to perform an office cystoscopy to look in the bladder to verify that there are no more suture material in the bladder. You should also mention the bulge and ask your doctor's opinion on what to do about it.