Urogynecology Expert Forum
Pelvic Pain & Freq. Urination

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Pelvic Pain & Freq. Urination

Hello Doctor,

I went to the ER last night for pelvic pain, nausea and frequent urination.  The urine test was negative.  I don't have pain or pressure that would normally come with a UTI (I've had them before) but as soon as I come back from the ladies room I have to go right back again a minute later and it's a normal amount of urine, not a drop or two.  I'm awaiting the lab results as the doctors seem to think I may have PID since the urine was negative.  They gave me antibiotics to take that would handle PID or a UTI, at least I think so.  But my question is, should I make my follow-up appointment with my primary care physician or my OB/GYN?  I don't particularly care to see my OB/GYN because every time I complain of something she blames it on my fibroid or adenomyosis and I haven't been able to research a new doctor yet.  I'm so afraid of having a kidney infection and I don't want to impair my fertility.

I think the lab is only testing the pap results for PID, and I don't think they're doing any further testing on the urine.

Thanks in advance!!!
Agreed. You should see a qualified pelvic floorphysical therapist, who may be able to help with the painful pelvic muscles, which can cause your symptoms.
To update my problem, all results were negative for possible STD's and urine said "no growth after 3 days".  I went to my primary doc and he didn't know what to tell me since the first urine test was negative.  I'm still wondering about the frequent urination though because that's happened to me the last two cycles and lasted days at a time.  I'm talking going to the bathroom and having to go again within 1-2 minutes with a reasonable amount of urine.  I'm okay now but wondering about next cycle if it starts again.  
Have you looked into the symptoms of IC (interstitial cystitis)?   Maybe somethings is going haywire with pelvic muscles and a physical therapist that deals with pelvic muscle dysfunction may be able to help.
I wanted to thank you for your response.  After you mentioned IC, I looked it up and it definitely sounds like it could be my problem, especially when it said you could go into remission.  I'm going to mention this to my doctor.

Thanks!!!
I have the same symptoms but also feels like a UTI....which urine test show no. I have what seems to feel like sorness, tenderness in my vagina are and clitoris are as well and as my bladder fills up, the sorenss and pressure in those areas get worse. Any thoughts....oh and I had microsopic blood in my urine