Urogynecology Community
Pelvic floor

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

Pelvic floor

I have a moderate rectocele and I have been asked to do pelic floor exercises to improve this, however, no matter how hard I try I don't seems to be able.  Is it possible that some people can't or are there any other reasons why it is so difficult.  I had 2 large babies both near 10lbs with second degree tearing with both, could this have caused nerve damage?
I am concerned as the rectocele is problematic and if I can't do the exercises then I am not sure what to do
Any advise
L
Hi Lilly,

Were you diagnosed by a primary care physician or a urogynecologist? A urogyn will be able to give you an accurate grade for your rectocele, they are trained in measurement techniques.

Yes you may have sustained nerve damage with these 2 births and that can have a very definite impact on your ablility to contract your pc muscle. Are you seeing a physical therapist or physiotherapist? If not I'd advise that you do, they can be very helpful in guiding you in these initial steps for doing pelvic floor exercises and have treatments that can help you recognize and regain that contaction. I highly recommend this as a first step.

If you are not able to access a therapist to help you regain contraction, ask your physician about using a pessary or what other options you have. It is important that you do utilize some kind of treatment to improve your pelvic health. Maintenance is key!

Good luck, I hope you find a PT in your area to guide you.

Sher
Hi Sher,

I saw a gynaecologist who diagnosed a moderate rectocle, but he didn't measure or grade it.  He did however refer me to the urogynae physiotherapist.  While waiting for my appointement I thought I would work on my pelvic floor muscles, but I didn't think it would be so difficult and impossible!

Thanks for your advice - I will wait and see what they say.  I dread the idea of perminant damage to my pelvic floor, I am only 34 yrs old and I don't know how it will be when I am older - probably worse! So your right I need to sort it out now.

I will also see what my Dr says when I go back, having children has caused havoc to my body and I want things to be back the way they should be.

Lilly
I wish every woman with POP was as anxious to get rolling with self-help! I have no doubt that you will be able to regain the majority of your pelvic floor strength after you either have surgery or utilize treatments; there are so many things you can do to help yourself after you have that definitive diagnosis. I'm one of those women who'll be doing pelvic floor maintenance for life, I have a feeling you're going to fit into that category as well. Once you get our body level you should be able to keep it level by conitinuing with whatever maint routine works for you.

And FYI, I speak with women your age all the time who have POP issues from rough childbirthing experiences (vaginal childbirth is the leading cause of POP), I am so happy you recognize that there is a problem and are taking steps to correct it now b/4 it progresses any further.

Good luck!
Sher