Urogynecology Community
Pessary

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

Pessary

Hi, I am very happy to have found this community. I am 46 years old and have been diagnosed with a cystocele and rectal prolapse by a GYN. I am going to a urogyn next week. I've found a few good books in the libary that have been helpful in explaining my options. I'm not ready to have surgery yet. I know it is the only real "fix" for the problem. I'm wondering if anyone has used a pessary and how that worked out. I'm thinking about trying it and buying myself some time before surgery. Your thoughts?
I did use a pessary prior to having surgery, will get back to you later this AM with some info!
Hi Dinlaurajo, welcome to the Urogynecology community!

I am so glad you are going to see a urogyn, you will be guided about treatment options and informed what degree your POP is which I feel makes it easier to feel comfortable making the surgery/no surgery choice. There are some women who are grade 2 POP that are comfortable utilizing treatment options instead of having surgery, particularly if they want to hold off until after they have more children.

I used a pessary for a short time after I was first diagnosed, I would compare it to being a new contact lens wearer-it takes a week or so to get the hang of inserting/removing, but once you have the drill down pat it goes quickly. If it is fitted properly you will not feel it inside at all and it should contain the prolapsed tissues and give you comfort. If it causes discomfort, it is the wrong size or type of pessary (there are many different types, the ring pessary is the most common). I liked the pessary fine, thought it did the trick well, I just didn't want to have to deal with having one more "maintenance" thing to deal with daily so I quickly opted for surgery, but then I was in my mid-50's when diagnosed.

There's quite a bit more detail I could give you, if you have more questions, shoot another post or send me a PM (private message) and we'll go from there.

Good luck and make sure to take you list of questions with you to the dr!
Sher
I have had 2 patients use a pessary with great success.  The help with incontinence and support the pelvic floor. It is worth a shot, you have nothing to loose right?
Nurse Paula
I'm new at this. How do I post a PM?

Do you have suggested questions to ask the Dr? I do have a couple. What grade/stage? What type of surgery would mine be? What is the success rate? How many patients have need a repeat surgery? Will I have incontience after the surgery? Are they any other questions that you feel I should ask? I want to be compeltely prepared and get the most out of this visit.

Right now I have kink in my urthera, but before the prolapse I had stress incontience. I woner if it will be back with the pessary use.
Thank you for the post. I see you stated it may help with incontience. I hope that is true in my case. How long did they use the pessarys? Did they then opt  for surgery or are they still using them?
I have wore a pessary twice, once before my hysterectomy last August. My bladder fell after the TVH and it was causing me lower back pain and constipation. My doc says I have a cystocele grade 2 and need the mesh attached.So now, again, I am having good luck with the pessary and am able to wait until I get medical insurance for the surgery. I do not even notice it is there, it is easy to clean and take care of myself. I am 56 yrs old and had my uterus and cervix removed in the vag hyst. I had a total pelvic prolapse before the TVH and wore it then for 4 months. They are a great help and comfortable with the right fit.
The questions you have are great, there are so many more you can ask, particularly since you may be using a pessary and possbily eventually having surgery. How soon is your appt? The questions you would ask for treatment use and the questions you would ask for surgery are different, send  me a PM (run your cursor over my name and it will bring up a box that says to send a note (everyone sees notes) or to send a message (that is private and only comes to me), then I can get more specifics from you and point you better. Youi can also click on my name and it will bring you to my profile, you can send me a private message from within there as well.

If you used to have incontinence and no longer do because of kink in urethra, you are probably at a stage 3, incontinence is common in stages 1 & 2, in stages 3 & 4 you can't get the pee to come out because of the urethra kinking.

FYI, a pessary does help with incontinence, that is one of the main uses for them.

Talk to you soon!
Sher