Urogynecology Expert Forum
Please advice

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Please advice

HI  doctor! I have this symptoms of having of urinary frequency,  urethral swelling and heavines, on and off bladder retention,and some whitish vaginal or urethral discharge.. At first My doctor diagnosed it as acute cystitis.that time i have burning sensation after I urinate,  and by the way my cystitis symptoms started during the  2nd day of my Mentrual period. then the the doctor request a Urine analysis, there she diagnosed me having acute cystitis, she prescribed me a 3- day antibiotic Ciprofloxacin, it was slightly improved since burning sensation after urinating was gone but the rest of the symptoms is still there, most especially urinary frequency, every 15-30 min I felt that my urethra has urine retention and cannot drained all the urine. after that I saw the doctor again and told her the improvement, she requested a urine analysis then prescribed me a 7 days antibiotic Cirpofloxacin. after that no improvement, I went to Uro doctor and again urine analysis.and Few bacteria was seen in my urine and he gave me an Antibiotic 5 days Omnicef 100mg 2 capsules twice a day,after finishing my antibiotic the Doctor said my urine was clear  but i felt pain in my urethra.. he said he will do cystoscopy but I dont want since its n invasive procedure  then my doctor checked my urethra no swelling only vaginal dischrge so she refer me to URo gyne, may uro gyne do the vaginal swab and urinalysis,, all is clear.. she gave me cream topical cream for vaginal irritation and urethra , my vagianl dischrge is normal due to half month  menstrual period diaschrges    but my probelm is that after I urinate I feel urine in my pubic area it does not empty.. but my urge to urinate is like 2-3 hours,  I dont know whats  going on with me .. very uncomfortable though please help me. thanks
Sorry to read of your problem.  You should have a cystoscopy done to evaluate the urethra.  While many possible etiologies exist, Urethral Diverticulum should be ruled out.  Cystoscopy can diagnose this in some cases, others will require MRI.  Your Urogyn or Urologist can do a cystoscopy for you.  If this work up is negative, then a workup for urgency and frequency can be done, Urodynamics, etc.  Thank you for your question.  J. Kyle Mathews, MD