Urogynecology Expert Forum
Possible Kidney Problem?

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Possible Kidney Problem?

Recently, my skin has been itching intensely all over, with no rash. It feels like someone is rolling a cactus across my skin.

It all started about 10 days ago when I went to bed with a migraine and took some Syndol.

This is after having a few days of Migraines and getting through a pack of Syndol tablets, although never taking more than 4 tablets in a 24 hours period. I had also consumed a large amount of Alcohol throughout December at Christmas parties, but nothing 'in excess', just larger than usual.

Anyway, I went to bed and took some Syndol, after 20-30 minutes of being led in bed, I started to feel odd.

I felt a little slow (which I put down to the Syndol) but then I scratched my skin and it felt like I was touching my skin with thick gloves on - I felt rather numb.

Then I noticed a feeling of discomfort in my right lower back and it was sore to the touch. I also then began noticing this odd tingling / pins and needles / itching feeling gradually across my body.

Since that evening, I have had this horrible and intense itching across my body, which is massively intensified at night.

It's only been tonight that I've searched Google for 'itching no rash' that I discovered it could possibly be related to Kidneys - which then made me think about the lower back pain I had when this started and the subsequent taking of Syndol & Alcohol.

Another symptom I have (according to what I've read) is smelly breath. This is something I've had for months as I recently found out I'm gluten intolerant and have since cut most carbs out of my diet.

I am concerned that what I am experiencing could be related to damage done to my kidneys over the holiday period, topped off with a spate of using painkillers, or a side effect of my new diet.

Please can you offer some advice?

Tags: no rash, Itching, smelly breath