Urogynecology Expert Forum
Post-Partum UTI Symptoms
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Post-Partum UTI Symptoms

I'm 30yrs old, 4mos. post-partum giving birth to 1st baby (vaginal delivery w/ level 4 episiomotoy & tear).  I'm also classified as a "hypothyroid patient" and have been on Synthroid for treatment for the past 3 yrs (after Radioactive I131 Treatment for Graves Disease).  In the past 4 wks, I've experienced severe UTI symptoms (urethral pain & constant urgency to go) within a few hours to a day after having sex.  After being to the dr. twice, urine showed no bacteria, even after being sent to lab for culture... dr rx'd Cipro anyway.  After 1st dr visit, felt better after 3 days of Cipro... but after last visit & taking Cipro, not feeling any better.  Symptoms not going away.  I also have an ovarian cyst on my rt ovary (which was present before & during my pregnancy)... at least the size of a large golf ball/small tennis ball.  2003 - had laproscopy to drain cyst.  It returned approx 1yr later, but no problems, so we left it alone.  Didn't cause any issues during my pregnancy either.  That's my background... what could be causing all of this pseudo-UTI pain?  The pregnancy/birth, the thyroid, the ovarian cyst? It's severely interfering with my daily life in taking care of my baby, and also interefering in what little of a sex life my husband and I are trying to get back.  I'm feeling miserable.