Urogynecology Expert Forum
Prolapse symptoms getting worse

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Prolapse symptoms getting worse

Since finding out I have a rectocele grade 3, intussusception grade 3 and rectal prolapse of more than 3cms I have been doing kegels and pelvic stability class with a womens physio, plus hypopresive exercises as well.  I have massive bloating from bowel pressing on my bladder and vagina and since going on the Fodmaps diet I have managed to reduce some of the bloating but last night I felt worse than ever and my bladder side bulge was worse than ever, especially when applying pressure.

All the Urogynes I have seen say I dont have a bad enough bladder side prolapse to operate on and even tell me I dont have any problem with my bladder side but the appts are during the day when my symptoms are not nearly so visable.  The Urogynes in the UK dont take any notice of other Urogyne opinions or tests at all and are happy to take my money but dont address the bladder side problem at all even though this is the side that is getting worse.  I have been advised to go to A and E by a friend when my symptoms are at their worst to have a gyne look at them but the local hospital does not have a Urogyne and also since no Urogynes accept any other observation other than their own I feel stuck as to how to get my symptoms properly diagnosed and addressed.

I was so bad last night I couldnt work and am laying down as I type.  The aching in my back is worse as well, with the dragging feeling aching and pulling downward as well.  I am 52 and a single parent of children age 11 and 17 trying to work and also go to lots of day time appts with Urogynes who seem more interested in money and moving me on than dealing with the problems that I am having.  I am not sure what to do any more.

In addition to the above you think the pressure from my bowel could be causing problems and what could the pressure be?

I have considered taking a photo and taking it to a Urogye appt but would this help and do you have any other suggestions.  

Many thanks
Sorry to read of your problem.  You might consider seeing a colorectal specialist (or gastroenterologist).  A study called Defecography can be ordered and will show if you indeed have rectal prolapse, rectocele, etc.  You  might also consider getting a second opinion from a urologist regarding your bladder concerns.  It is not uncommon for patient with pelvic organ prolapse, rectum, bladder, uterus, to complain of abdominal pressure and back pain.  Photos  of what you are seeing during your symptoms may also be helpful.  J. Kyle Mathews, MD
Thank you for your reply.  I have already had a proctogram which I think is the same thing as defecography which showed my intuss, rectocele and rectal prolapse.  It was done on a day soon after antibiotics for bacterial overgrowth so my bowel was empty and the normal pressure from my bowel wasnt there.  Could I still have an enterocele that could not be seen on a proctogram.  I wonder why my symptoms are getting so much worse and the Drs cant tell me why there is still so much pressure from my bowel as well as worsening bladder symptoms.  Days after I finished my antibiotics the pressure and bad gas returned.  I have reduced some of the bloating with the Fodmaps diet but not got rid of it which is still a problem.

The larger bulge from my bladder side still had the folds of my vagina and not the more smooth appearance of some bladder prolapses.  I wondered if this could indicate that there is more of a pressure problem that necesarily the vaginal walls giving way and if this is why it is so hard for the Urogynes to feel the extent of the prolapse in the morning appts I see them.

I appreciate your help.  Thank you