Urogynecology Expert Forum
Prolapse?

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Prolapse?

I have pelvic pain, back pain, and a small protrusion coming out of my vagina. At the end of the day, it is very painful and hurts to have sex. I think it's some sort of prolapse, but how can you tell the difference between vaginal and uterine? Are there things that I should and should not be doing?   Thanks for your help
If the thing that is protruding is the cervix, then it is uterine, if, on the other hand it is the vaginal wall, then it is vaginal. Vaginal versus uterine may have a minor impact on how it may be treated.  TO decide if your prolapse is significant, squat down over a mirror, and bear down like you are having a bowel movement. If there is prolapse, you will see the labia separate, and a pinkish protrusion of tissue separating and coming past the labia. If the bulge is bigger than a golf ball, then you probably have significant prolapse, and should get evaluated by a trained urogynecologist or pelvic surgeon. Prolapse is not a life and death matter, and it is usually not an emergency. Usually prolapse does not cause severe pain, and probably should not be causing pain with intercourse. You would do well to find a qualified urogynecologist to help you sort your symptoms out.

Dr. hoyte
I have uterine prolapse.  It looks like I am growing a penis right inside my labia(lips).  I get low back pain and my vaginal area will throb at the end of the day and I get stabbing pains in ovary area at times. When laying down my uterus slides towards my rectum, when standing it slides towards my urethra(where you urinate).  Most of the time it is uncomfortable and at times down right painful...if they don't have one I don't know how they can definatively state they are painless myself.  Good luck.
Uterine prolapse is quite curable in the long term, usually with transvaginal, laparoscopic, or abdominal surgery. The patients with severe pain usually have other problems, usually myofascial pain, or atrophic vaginitis, both of which are usually readily curable. Your urogynecologist will definitely be able to help you cure these symptoms.

Dr. Hoyte
I had prolapsed uterus with cystocel and rectocel. When I squated the labia did not open, however if I parted th alabia my cervix was right there.  It felt like it was being choked and until surgery it was quite red and raw looking.  I was very uncomfortable and it hurt.  I am 2 weeks post op, and though I am tired as a bugger I must say I feel so much better not having that thing in my pants. My back pain is gone, and that was significant pain!  I am anemic from surgery and I am working on getting built back up.  I do wish doctors would not tell patients a prolapse is not painful, because it certainly can be, and aside from that it feels really queer......the oddest thing ever! Thanks for your reply.