Urogynecology Expert Forum
Question whether to get LEEP or not

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Question whether to get LEEP or not

Hello there. Thnak you so much for looking at this post. I really really need your insights into problems that I am having right now. To explain my problems, please let me state the background story.

When I was 19 years old, I had pap test ( at that point, I had two previous sexual partner). The result came as abnormality in cells, so the clinic referred me to further inspection. After looking at my cervix, the doctor decided to proceed LEEP procedure. On the day when I was supposed to have LEEP procedure, an intern doctor decided not to proceed LEEP because of my age. Instead of having LEEP, the doctor collected a tissue from my cervix to check the cell further. Then, the result came as less abnormal in cells. This meant that the parts of cervix was healing by itself. So I did not have to get LEEP at that time. After that, my pap all showed no abnormal cell activities.

After 4 years, I recently had a pap, and the result showed abnormality in the cells. And the doctor told me to have LEEP. However, I am seeking second opinions on the doctor's decision because of the following reasons....

1. When I showed up at her appointment, the paper that was transferred from the hospital I was before stated that I had LEEP even though I did not

2. The doctor, her receptionist as well as her assistant did not tell me that I needed LEEP procedure. They kept saying that I need another procedure. When I was discussing my result with my doctor, the doctor did not mention that name of procedure, but instead explained me how it is getting done. When I asked her if it is LEEP, she told me it is LEEP. I felt it was strange that they did not mention the name of procedure even though they should know that I knew about LEEP from my previous experience. The doctor told me to sign the consent form right away, and I did.

She is a quite young doctor and has only 5 people reviewing her on "rate my MDs". One person mentioned that my doctor was an intern 5 years ago.

Do you think I should talk to another doctor as well?

Thank you so much for the read.
1 Comment
Correction: she was an intern 3 years ago, not 5 years ago.