RETAL PROLAPSE CAUSED BY MUSCLE WEAKNESS
HELLO,
I JUST SAW MY SURGEON THIS WEEK AND I WAS DIGNOSED WITH RECTAL PROLAPSE FROM WEAK MUSCLES. I WAS SET TO HAVE A HYSTERECTOMY AND ADVISED NOT TO HAVE IT, BECAUSE OF THE MUSCLE WEAKNESS.
MY SYMTOMS ARE TREMORS, MUSCLE WEAKNESS ALL OVER MY BODY, RECTAL PROLAPSE,URGE TO GO TO THE BATHROOM (BM) ALL THE TIME.  WHEN I HAVE THE URGE TO HAVE A BM MY WHOLE BODY TENSES UP AND THE PRESSURE DOWN  THERE IS VERY PAINFULL AND NOTHING COMES OUT BUT WHITE MUCUS.
THE SURGEON EXPLAINED THAT AN OPERATION TO FIX THE PROLAPSE, WOULD DO NO GOOD UNTILTHE PROBLEM THAT IS CAUSING THE PROLAPSE IS TAKEN CARE OF FIRST
I HAVE HAD IBS FOR YEARS, WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS,  NOW THEY SAY IT'S COMING FROM THE IBS AND STRESS.  HOW DO YOU FIX THAT??
I HAVE HAD THIS FOR A YEAR NOW AND I'M WAY PAST THE POINT OF 'JUST DEAL WITH IT".
HOW DO YOU  MAKE THOSE MUSCLES STRONGER?
DOES ANYONE HAVE THIS OR KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT?
I'M SO LOST ANY HELP WOULD BE AWESOME!!
ZANA47
Hi Zana47, welcome to the Urogynecology Community!

As a women who's had IBS for at least 15 years, I now understand how the symptoms of IBS and POP (pelvic organ prolapse) can intermingle. The first question that comes to mind is what type of surgeon did you see? I would highly recommend you see a urogynecologist. Often women are told to have a hysterectomy and although they may need surgery to repair a POP issue (there are 5 types of POP), a hysterectomy may not be necessary. A urogyn will be able to assess what is going on prolapse wise. The constant urge to have a bm is a normal rectocele prolapse symptom, you feel like you have to poop all the time and you sit down to go and nothing comes out. There is a bulge in the colon where the poop gets stuck. It's physically exhausting no doubt. When this has gone on for some time, you end up anticipating what is going to happen (or in this case not going to happen) and I'm sure there's a chance that the tremors are related to that anxiety.

POP surgery will not fix IBS, it just fixes the constipation issue-you will still have to eat fiber and watch your diet the same way you do now. If you are not sure how to find a urogynecologist (this is the specialist that treats POP), send me a reply and I'll send  you a PM with info on that as quickly as I can.

Good luck, there is  hope!

Sher