Urogynecology Expert Forum
Rectocele repair failure??

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Rectocele repair failure??

I had rectocele repair back on Sept 27th, vaginally just with stitches. I was in a lot of pain the first couple weeks and then slowly started feeling better. I went for my 6 week check up and my obgyn said it looked good and there was lots of pressure. At the time I still had quite a few stitches so hadn't done much exploring myself. I had some discomfort during this time due to the stitches. Now at 8 1/2 weeks I am still feeling swelling in the rectum area, is this normal? And I still have heaviness feelings. But more distrubing to me is I can still feel a bulge of sorts. And my vaginal opening seems wide still yet shallow from the bulge. My husband and I haven't attempted sex yet since my stitches are just finishing dissolving, but I have no idea how it will even work when I can hardly fit my finger in. Should I still have a bulge at this point, could it still be swelling from the surgery, do people typically always have one afterwards, or does this mean my surgery has failed?? Help, it is consuming me!!
From your description it sounds like you had a classical posterior repair.  This is where the muscles of the pelvic floor are pulled to the midline over the rectum to reduce the rectocele.  Pain is very common and usually will resolve in 2 to 3 months.  This procedure should not have shortened you vagina and I suspect you are felling the repair when you place a finger in your vagina.  An examination can determine if this is the case or if you indeed have a failed repair.  With regards to the vaginal opening, this is often not addressed by many doctors.   Vaginoplasy (tightening of the vagina) and perineoplasty (making the vaginal entrance smaller)  are considered cosmetic gynecology by many doctors.  Should you consider these procedures it is important that you seek a doctor that has done specialized training in these techniques.  
1 Comment
A related discussion, vaginal opening? was started.