Urogynecology Community
Rectocele surgery produces a cystocele!

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

Rectocele surgery produces a cystocele!

I had surgery for a large rectocele and enterocele mid Nov- nearly 3 months ago. Following surgery I was told I had a small cystocele. As I have gradually resumed 'normal' activities eg walking / on feet more often, it has become larger (can be seen as a bulge in my vagina). Also, I have had 3 urine infections (3 courses of anti-biotics). I had never had a water inf prior to surgery. I also have pain when passing urine since surgery.
I have now been re referred to surgeon again by my doctor. How can I be sure that further surgery to correct the cystocele will not bring further problems?
Would you recommend waiting a good period of time to see if cysocele worsens or is it best to have surgery fairly soon?
I am 57 and post menapausal. Thank you in anticipation of any advice you could offer.
What type of surgeon did your repair? A urogynecologist would have addressed the cystocele at the same time as the recto & entero repairs. Please see one of these pelvic floor specialists for assessment. At the 3 month point you should be well on the way to balance and you should not have pain when urinating related to the procedure so something needs to be addressed with how the repair was done. Whether or not you choose to have cystocele surgery, you should be assessed by a urogyn so you know exactly what is going on and what needs to be done.

If you have difficulty finding a urogyn, give me a shout and I can point you in a direction.

Sher
I had a bladder sling put in on Dec. 23, 2011. I have had constant discomfort since this surgery, along with a UTI and most recently a bladder infection that they believe reached my intestines. I want this this OUT NOW because I continue to feel awful! I live in CT, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for caring, Cheryl
It is important to have a pelvic floor specialist evaluate your complications Cher. Often slings are put in by physicians with inadequate training or experience and complications occur. Truly needs to be assessed and addressed as soon as possible.

I'll send you a PM on how to find a urogynecologist or urologist who specializes in pelvic floor in your area.

Sher