Urogynecology Expert Forum
Recurrent UTI

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Recurrent UTI

I have had about 8 uti's in the past year and I am seeing a urogynecologist for them.  He has me on methenamine, 2x daily, which has seemed to work..been on it about 3 months.  Over the weekend I was fine, but woke Monday morning to all the symptoms. I think I used the bathroom about 7 times in one hour.  Pain upon stopping urinating, cloudy urine, and kind of like bladder/urethra spasms upon emptying  my bladder. I hadn't had a lot of water over the weekend so I started drinking water as soon as I got up...and took my methenamine and the little pills that are supposed to help with the pain.  By the time I got to labcorp I probably had had about 3 pints of water.  I called my doctor and based on my history, he called in a script which I got about 4 hours later.  I have been taking them since Monday night.  The doctor's office called yesterday and said the urine culture came back negative, and to stop taking the antibiotic (macrobid).  I KNOW what a uti feels like...is it possible that I diluted down my urine culture so much that an infection wouldn't show on a culture?  I decided to finish the antibiotic as I really feel it was a uti and I want to make sure I get rid of it.  Thanks for any insight!